Monday, March 24, 2014

A Sigh

This week has been so crazy, and so amazing.  I have a ton of things to get done today, so this will be shorter, but I wanted to email out anyway and let you all know how amazing The Lord's work is. Last week I was having a very hard time with not having much work in the area.  We didn't have any investigators, and no one wanting us to teach them, and it was overall just a discouraging time. I contacted my mission president to ask for some advice, and he told me that he would be in my area on Thursday, and could meet with me then, but until then, to just fully consecrate myself and trust in The Lord.

I thought this sounded a little redundant, because I felt like I was doing that already. Of course, trying to be obedient, I knelt in prayer and re-dedicated myself and said something along the lines of, 'I can't  figure this out on my own, so it's in your hands now!'  And I'm pretty sure I could feel the sigh of relief when The Lord said, 'Finally! I've been waiting far too long Elder Gifford!'

Miracle #1
Less than three hours later we were doing our laundry, (laundry room is occupied all day, doing it before bed is faster) and we started talking to someone we had seen before, and been friendly with, but never tried to contact as missionaries. So instead of waiting for us to contact her, she contacted us. She asked about what we do, what we believe in, and invited us over to teach her and her fiancee the next evening. (Their little girl had a fever and has been sick for the last few days, so we haven't taught them yet, but they are reading the Book of Mormon, which says it better than we ever could.) Miracle

Miracle #2
Wednesday morning, we got a call from our Bishop's wife. She informed us that she had just gotten off the phone with a young man from Vietnam, and he goes to school in Lake Forest, (super rich community
in my area) and has been in Vietnam on Spring Break. While he was there, he has been taking the lessons with his Mother, and upon his return to America, wants to continue learning from us, and be baptized. Wait just a darn second, did you just say that we have skipped past new investigator status and went straight to committed to baptism? Why yes, yes we did. So he has been going to Church there,
and has been taught all of the lessons but one, and wants to be baptized as soon as he can, which will be next weekend or the one after. He just got back in town yesterday, so we haven't met him face to face yet, but just emailing him, you can feel his testimony and his dedication to changing his life for this Gospel. It's beautiful.  More to come on Minh later. (That's his name.) Miracle

Those two miracles were just what we needed to have a renewed energy and attack this area. Things are coming along here in Buffalo Grove, slowly but surely.

I know this is truly God's work, and he is just waiting to make it happen. As we cons create ourselves more fully, he will open up doors we didn't know we had. Keep smiling, keep working, keep consecrated. I love you, and so does your Father in Heaven.

-Elder Logan Gifford

PS some Photos

Oh goodness, where to start. I have been taking a lot more pictures lately, because I feel bad that I don't have anything to show you all, so there are a few here.

Let's start with FMSC! That stands for Feed My Starving Children. This is an organization that we have been serving at for several months now, and we love it there. The work they do is simply tremendous, and they give all of the success to God, recognizing that without His help, none of this would happen. This is my district, (minus two Sisters) standing in front of the numbers for our two hour session. We
have gotten really good, and really fast. They say that on average, every volunteer packs one box of food, or 216 meals, in a two hour session, but last time each of the members of our group averaged out
at 2.85 boxes packed in two hours. We have a really good system set up. :)






The next one is taken at Bernie's Book Bank, which is awesome. They collect and distribute books to kids in the Chicagoland area who wouldn't normally get books as a child. They provide every kid in the Chicagoland area with 12 new books every school year. It's also an amazing organization, and we are proud to serve there.



The third, fourth and fifth ones are just exciting things we have received over the last week. We were talking about how the weather is starting to turn nice, and we would love to start riding bikes around,
and then I remembered that there were two extra bikes in another apartment, so we went and got them. Yay for bikes!! The fourth one is my personal favorite. You all know how much I like to dress up, but I also love variety. That is not something you get a lot as a missionary. So when a ward member asked if I wanted some of his old suits, (they fit me, but not my companion) I jumped on it. He gave us six suits, (jacket and pants) eight pairs of slacks, five ties, and a pair of shoes!  My companion didn't like the ties, and these are all of the clothes that fit me, so the rest will be added to the abyss that is a missionary apartment. Some other Elder can find some new suits. So I am excited to add a little color to my wardrobe. :) Blue with pinstripes, dark brown, and light gray with pinstripes? Don't mind if I do. :)





The last one if for you Mama. This is to show you how grateful I am for my pillow case and the body pillow. My bed may look pampered, (and it is) but it means I sleep well, so I don't mind at all. :)



I love you all! Enjoy, and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment