Monday, January 23, 2012

Fast Forward

So, I have this theory.

Have you ever seen the movie Click? I haven't seen the whole thing, but I get the concept; a universal remote that controls the actual universe. At least for the person controlling it.

I think that somewhere along the way, some jokester somewhere got a hold of the remote for my life, and this guy sure is having a great time!

His favorite button of course is the fast forward. Whenever he sees me having a good time, he decides that I don't really need to go through all of it, he will just fast forward through the night into the next day where I'm back at work. Feel like you're going to have a nice, relaxing weekend? Not while this guy is at the controls!

He is also fairly partial to the scene skip function. You like being a ten year old kid without a care in the world, not having to worry or fret? Okay, let's skip a few scenes to where you are 18, out in the world with a full time job and preparing for a mission that blindsided you. That's a nice little change of pace, right? Wrong, remote man. Wrong.

He also likes to play with the volume and subtitles. Whenever there is something good going on, like your boss telling you to go home early, or your mechanic telling you there isn't anything wrong with your car, let's mute that part so it's like you never heard it! The subtitles come into play whenever you know you don't want to hear something, so you can read it loud and clear.

Every once in a while, he will randomly switch channels on me, so I feel like I'm living someone else's life. Then the channel changes back, and it's like I have missed the last few minutes of my own program, and have to ask someone to catch me up.

Having a good night's sleep didn't make the final cut, and the lines are still being written as we go. All I really know about the show that is my life, is I am only really in control about half the time.

Luckily the half that I have control of is a pretty good half.

I have the rewind button, so I can always reflect on my life, and see how things happened, and why they happened the way they did.

I've got control of the slow motion command sometimes, so on rare occasions I can make a special moment last forever.

The zoom button is all mine, so I can focus on what I choose, and zoom out of problems when I want.

Every once in a while I can pause, to just sit and think about the scene I am working on.

Sometimes the remote slips away from me, and sometimes I have the control, but it's always comforting to know that I am not only the leading gentleman, but the writer of my life as well.

Just something I've been thinking about today.

-Tenacious Tenor

2 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts, my friend. They have given me pause today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. And I was going to be all complimentary. But the "they have given me pause" comment above just totally overshadowed your whole blog. Well played, wjmom. Well played.

    ReplyDelete